Background
Haridasa wandered in this manner for nearly eight years. After those difficult days passed, he returned to his hometown around 1905. Upon his return, he stayed for eight months in the sanctum of the Karkala Venkataramana Temple. In the past, he had faithfully set aside offerings (mudipu) every Saturday for Tirupati; however, due to extreme poverty, he was forced to spend even that reserved offering, which broke his Saturday single-meal vow (ekabhukta vrata). The realization that he had consumed the money dedicated to Venkataramana for his own sustenance—and that his succession of hardships had stemmed from this act—began gnawing at his mind. Standing in the presence of Karkala Venkataramana, recollecting all his transgressions and seeking forgiveness, he sang a song of repentance.
Karkala Venkatramana is called Chappara Shrinivasa, in memory of the travelling Sanyasi who had brought his vigraha to the town of Karkala. The vigraha was famously worshipped under a chappare/roof of the temporary shelter built by the travelling Sanyasi.
Pallavi
Tappugaḷellava oppugoḷḷayya śrī | cappara śrīnivāsa ||
Anupallavi
Sarparājagiriyappa timmappane | darpakatātane tā | sajjanaprīta ||
Refrain (Pallavi & Anupallavi) Forgive and accept all my shortcomings and mistakes, O Lord of the pavilion, Chappara Srinivasa! O Thimmappa residing on the serpent-king hill (Seshachala), father of Cupid (Kamadeva), beloved of the righteous!
Charaṇa 1
Mādhava ninnaya mahime tiḷiyarapa-| rādhava māḍide dāridryada || Bādheyinda tava pāda daruśanada | hādiya kāṇadāde | nā drōhiyāde ||
O Madhava, failing to comprehend Your divine glory, I committed grave errors. Tormented by extreme poverty, I lost the path that leads to the sight of Your lotus feet and became a betrayer.
Charaṇa 2
Trāṇaviruvāda kāṇike hākide | dīnadāridryada hottinali || Mēṇadarindali tegedu tegedu pañca- | prāṇakkāhutīya koṭṭe | aparādhapaṭṭe ||
When I had the physical strength and means, I set aside coins as offerings to You. But when destitute poverty struck, I reached in, took that money back piece by piece, and spent it to feed my five vital breaths (to survive). Thus, I incurred a terrible sin.
Charaṇa 3
Mandavāra dinakkondūṭava sattva- | dindiruvāga nā nēmagaide || Mandabhāgya jvaradinda pīḍitanāda- | rinderadūṭavanū | māḍide nānu ||
Back when I was healthy, I took a solemn vow to eat only once a day on Saturdays (Lord's day). But unfortunate as I am, when struck down by illness and fever, I broke my vow and ate two meals instead.
Charaṇa 4
Śanivārakkondāṇe kāṇike hākutta | minuguva ḍabbiya nā māḍide || Enage dāridryava koṭṭa kāraṇadinda | haṇavella guṇanuṅgitu | pādake gottu ||
I had kept a shining box, resolving to drop an anna as an offering every Saturday. But because You visited such poverty upon me, the saved money was swallowed up just to nurse my health—a truth well known to Your feet.
Charaṇa 5
Doḍḍa dāridryada guḍḍe biddudarinda | duḍḍella tegede nā daḍḍanāgi || Aḍḍabiddu kaiyoḍḍi bēḍuve svarṇa- | guḍḍeya mēliruva | mahānubhāva ||
When an overwhelming mountain of poverty collapsed upon me, I acted like a fool and spent all the dedicated coins. Prostrating before You with outstretched hands, I beg for forgiveness, O Supreme Being dwelling upon the golden hill!
Charaṇa 6
Bhaṇḍāradrōha brahmāṇḍa pāpāgniyu | maṇḍeyoḷurivudu khaṇḍitadi || Puṇḍarīkākṣanē karuṇāmṛta rasa- | kuṇḍadoḷ mīyisayya | veṅkaṭarāya ||
The cosmic fire of sin from misappropriating the Lord's treasury burns furiously in my head. O lotus-eyed Lord Venkataraya, cleanse me by immersing me in the nectar reservoir of Your boundless mercy!
Charaṇa 7
Dṛḍhabhaktiyanu koṭṭu salahabēkallade | keḍuku māḍuvudēnu jaḍajanābha || Kaḍalaśayana lakṣmīnārāyaṇa na- | mmoḍeya paḍutirupatīśa | ravikōṭibhāsa ||
Should You not bless me with steadfast devotion and protect me, instead of bringing ruin upon me, O Lotus-naveled Lord? O Lakshmi Narayana reclining upon the ocean, ruler of Western Tirupati, radiant as ten million suns!
No comments:
Post a Comment